Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday Focus - Metal Embellishments

Hello and welcome to today's Friday Focus! It's Sue here and the product under the spotlight today is metal embellishments. As an added bonus Linda is including an extra 15% discount to metal embellishments at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

I do love to include metal embellishments in my projects as well as sheet metal. I gathered lots of embellishments on my table then got started!


I picked this frame up last year and thought the little sections would be perfect for metal embellishments.


I painted the frame and sectioned piece with Gesso not really sure where I was headed at this point.


I then started to glue metal embellishments onto the frame, Linda has so many wonderful items in The Funkie Junkie Boutique! I cut some lengths of Tim Holtz ball chain and glued it along the edges of the frame. Once eveything had dried and the embellishments were secure I painted the whole thing black with black Gesso. After this had dried I then lightly brushed white Gesso over the embellishments and the frame. 


I then grabbed some Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays and spritzed them over the frame. Then to add a little more highlighting I've used some gold acrylic paint.


Now to sort out the inside of the frame. I didn't paint this black instead I dry brushed around the edges with black acrylic paint then spritzed it with Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays. As these sprays are permanent when dry it's easy to layer on top of them.


I had a scrap piece of aluminium sheet metal on my desk so I ran it through my Big Shot using the Tim Holtz embossing folder. Then using Cut 'n' Dry foam I dabbed black acrylic paint over it.


I spritzed the piece with Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays which have aged the metal beautifully.


Here is the finished piece and as you can see I added a metal embellishment to most of the little compartments. Once you get started on a project like this you start to get creative with how you can use the embellishments.


Layering up pieces and seeing what will fit inside recesses, like the little bottle cap on the metal flower and the number brad inside the little bottle cap. Also using a little eyelet screw to let the heart charm hang loose in it's recess.


Collaging metal pieces always creates lots of interest and when they're all painted come together to create impressive features on your work. Finally a sentiment from one of the many fabulous choices by Wendy Vecchi !

I hope you've enjoyed my project using lots of metal embellishments!

Sue
x

11 comments:

  1. Oh Sue! My jaw hit the floor when I saw the finished box! Absolutely incredible work my super talented friend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow! This is stunning and artsy and fabulous and fun! Amazing work, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally fabulous! I know I will keep coming back to look at it over and over, gathering inspiration for using my own collection of metal bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh soooo GORGEOUS and I sooo enjoyed seeing every little window filled so creatively Sue. Your frame is LUSCIOUSLY done. You used all your metal to the fullest extent and the outcome is FABULOUS! XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Love the frame! Wish that there were more hours in a day... seems never enough to do something like this :) Have a colurfull weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous project Sue. I love how you have layered all the metal elements together, just stunning. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I love love the metal pieces collage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely amazing, Sue! A complete and utter triumph!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just seen this and I am stunned! It's gorgeous Sue! I am going to make one for my new apartment in June. Thanks for the inspiration and superb step-by-step. :)

    ReplyDelete